And Jesus said to them, "Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his [accomplishments]." And he told them a parable, saying, "The [mind] of a rich [wo]man produced plentifully, and [s]he thought to [her]self, 'What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my [thoughts]?' And [s]he said, 'I will do this: I will tear down my [blog] and build [a more accomplished one], and there I will store all my [thoughts] and my [writings]. And I will say to my soul, Soul, you have ample [publications and a great reputation]; relax, eat, drink, be merry.' But God said to [her], 'Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?' So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God."

Friday, May 27, 2011

Where Truth is beauty, Bias is Truth's cheap, tasteless bargain-bin second cousin.

Speaker and Musician Affiliated with Wild Goose Arrested for Disturbing the Peace. →

If Mike Morrell & Co. think this bit of PR will draw attendees to The Wild Goose Festival (an ecumenical celebration of art, Christianity and social justice which will take place this summer), they may want to reconsider the type of attendees they would like to see gathered in the first place.

Sure, a spark of controversy in Jesus’ name can and will draw the progressive Christian hipster masses (all in their early 20s, worn copies of The Irresistible Revolution or God’s Economy raised high) out of their cozy coffee shop hides. But I had thought the purpose of the Wild Goose Festival was to draw Christians who disagree on political, social and spiritual issues together in order to dialogue and resolve differences — not to attract like-minded folk in order to celebrate how “right” their opinions are.

This bit of biased PR automatically excludes those who are politically conservative from the discussion (and, in doing so, many members of my parents’ generation). The article also lauds these gentlemen as heroes instead of presenting facts and allowing readers to draw conclusions for themselves. David LaMotte and William Barber are my brothers in faith, but I do not support their actions. I want to hear their explanations, but after reading this article, I feel that my own opinion may be unwelcome.

It seems to me that this article accuses those who disagree with Barber and LaMotte of acting “contrary to the teachings of Christianity.” Quite frankly, it shuts the door to healthy dialogue and difference of opinion within the Church. I want to strongly encourage those working on the Wild Goose Festival to write articles that would spark curiosity and eager conversation rather than draw lines of demarcation between “us” and “them.” After all, if I wanted to attend a festival where everyone thought the same way I did, I would attend Creation instead.

2 comments:

  1. Lyndsey!!!!!!!
    I saw someone at a church I was visiting yesterday that looked SO much like you! I almost ran up to her and gave her a hug but I had to restrain myself and look at her for a little while longer which is when I realized it wasn't you after all. I miss you! Hope all is well. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. this is Julie Bailey (sorry for forgetting to write that above) :)

    ReplyDelete